Monday, May 14, 2012

For My Wife, on our Anniversary...

Seven years ago, I married my wife, Brooke. 


It was one of the most amazing days of my life. 


As I stood outside the church auditorium in Corsicana, TX, waiting to go into the ceremony, I was very nervous. There were lots of people there, the lights were dimmed, and this was different from anything else I had ever done in that auditorium.


I had preached in there and had been nervous...but not this nervous.


I had led singing in there and had been nervous...but not this nervous.


I had performed VBS skits in there and had been nervous...but not this nervous.


I had shot Nerf Guns at teenagers in there and...well, no...I wasn't nervous about that.


But I was nervous about this.


Ferman (our preacher, friend, and the man who performed our wedding) had suggested that I keep a few Kleenex in my pocket in case Brooke began to cry. I had a whole pack of them, ready to go.


I don't remember the exact order of things that day, and I don't remember everything that was said, but I do remember seeing Brooke come through the back doors and walking down that aisle. 


She was breathtakingly beautiful. 


She was smiling as big as I had ever seen her smile and she radiated a glow that was visible to everyone, especially me. She could have taken thirty minutes to walk down that aisle and I wouldn't have rushed her. I would have watched her for every second. 


As it turns out, I did need the Kleenex. But not for her.


I believe I had to blow my nose two or three times during that ceremony. And these weren't "polite" nose-blowings. These were "honks". I'm glad that she didn't cry much, because I'm not sure I could have spared a Kleenex. 


Vows were made.


Songs were sung.


Candles were lit.


Noses were blown.


Two became one that day in a mysterious and beautiful way that only God can truly understand. 


As we walked down that aisle together after our first kiss as man and wife, we were simply overjoyed. I think I could have flown out of that auditorium.


There are lots of things that happened that day that were kind of a blur. I remember bits and pieces of them as I look back and think about that day. I remember different people being there and smiling with them, hugging them, and appreciating them being there. 


Most of it was a blur.


But there is one thing that isn't blurry...


That was the day that I married the woman I loved.


That was the day that I married the woman who I intend to love for the rest of my life. 


Other than the day I became a Christian, that was the greatest day of my life.


After seven years with Brooke, there is no "itch". There is no desire whatsoever to be with anyone but her. She is still my best friend and the woman of my dreams. I am just as excited to go on a date with her tonight as I was when we first met. 


She still makes me laugh. She is still my best friend. She is still breathtakingly beautiful. And there are moments when I look at her and still need Kleenex. 


I love you, Brooke, and I always will. 


Happy Anniversary:) 







1 comment: