Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Birthday Blog

I turn 38 today.


I know what you're thinking...


a. "He's too young looking to be 38!"


b. "I thought he was 50!"


c. "Who cares?"


Either way, it is another birthday for me and I'm grateful for another year that God has given me to live. 


Here are some random facts about my birthday, which you may or may not enjoy:


- My parents came down to visit and they took us out to eat last night at Red Lobster, which was very nice. It is always very nice at Red Lobster, but it is even nicer when you don't have to pay. Those cheese biscuits...oh my.


- My Mom made cupcakes, which we ate at the restaurant. Ava (our 17 month old daughter) enjoyed hers very much. She began by trying to stuff the entire thing into her mouth (which I believe is required, according to the toddler code book), and concluded by removing every single bit of icing with her finger, slowly and deliberately. It was a sight. 


- After dinner, we went to Barnes & Noble for a while. My Dad bought a book about knives. Don't worry, he's not a psycho...he just likes knives. And books about knives. And movies with knives in them. Ok, maybe he is a psycho. But he's my Dad and I love him and he probably won't stab me since I'm his son and it's my birthday. 


- My parents gave me $25 for my birthday, which I promptly spent on a Batman comic at the bookstore (some things never change). 


- My wife gave me three Star Wars T-shirts, only one of which I already had. I am particularly excited about the one I'm wearing today that says, "VADER IS COMING...look busy." She also has some other gifts for me today that she has been trying to give me for a month. She is very excited about these gifts, but I have insisted that she wait for my actual birthday before she gives me all of them. Sue me, I'm sentimental.


- We go to the Dr. today to schedule Greta's induction for next week. Lord willing, we will be a family of four in only a few more days:) Please pray for us as we anxiously await our new arrival. 


All in all, it has been a great birthday so far, and I appreciate all of the attention (and money) that I have been given. If you have not already given me attention (or money) and would like to, I will be accepting these things up until midnight....September 14th (I like to give people plenty of time to do the belated birthday thing; I figure it's the kind thing to do). 


If, after September 14th, you have still not been able to acknowledge my birthday, please speak with me privately and we can arrange an extension. 


One might ask, "Why do we celebrate birthdays? What a silly notion!" I have asked that question myself (never on my birthday, though...always on someone else's. When it's my birthday, I think it's a fine thing to do and shouldn't be questioned by anyone).


Here are some reasons: 


1. It is a celebration of existence. 


2. It is a salute to staying alive. 


3. It is a nod to remaining you. 


4. It is an acknowledgement of the importance of your place in the world.


5. It is a chance to eat cake. 


6. It is none of your business. Just shut up and eat the cake and stop trying to ruin it for everyone else. 


Our birthdays are times of reflection. They are times when we are encouraged by those who love us. They are times for us to look back on fond memories and to look forward with optimism. 


Most importantly, our birthday is a chance for us to thank God that He made us, and to ask ourselves if we are living up to His plan for our lives. 


God had a plan for me before I was ever born (as He does for each of us), and the older I get, the more I am able to actively participate in that plan. To be an active, functioning child of God is truly something to be happy about:)


Yes, this post is shorter than usual, but give me a break. It's my birthday.



No comments:

Post a Comment