Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Coast

One of my best friends is a guy named Ray Coast. 


I call him Coast, because he likes to be called Coast.


...


And if I don't call him that, I'm afraid he might punch me.


Coast and I have been friends for several years now and we are very different.


Not "different" like ketchup and mustard; "different" like ketchup and a car battery.


Let me try to summarize some of these differences:


- He was in the military. The closest I have ever gotten is buying "We Were Soldiers" on DVD (I've seen it multiple times, though, if that counts for anything). 


- He works out a lot and has lots of muscles. I don't work out and therefore have none.


- He likes to shoot guns, drive motorcycles, jump off of cliffs, work on & ride Jeeps, and generally see how close he can get to death without actually dying. Me, on the other hand...I only shoot a gun when it's connected to an arcade game; I'm not allowed onto a motorcycle (which is a convenient excuse that my wife gives me to help me preserve my manhood); I think it's pointless to jump off of a perfectly good cliff; I drive a Camry (which I can't work on myself); and I'm scared to go into Wal-Mart in the middle of the night (which, you have to admit, is rather risky).


- He has no problem with confrontation. I tend to avoid it. We went to the movies last night and if I hadn't stepped in, I think he may have punched the rude young lady who was ringing up his Twizzlers (in his defense, though, I kinda wanted to punch her too. She was being a turd). 


- He can lift large amounts of weight. He has bench-pressed 500 lbs, if that puts it into perspective. Me? Well, I have also bench-pressed 500 lbs....total....in my entire life...in increments of approximately 4 lbs per press. 


- When he punches me in the arm, as a joke, it hurts. When I punch him in the arm, trying to hurt him...it's a joke.


- If he sees someone broken down on the side of the road, he stops. He stops, not only because he cares about the person, but because he can actually help them. Whatever might be wrong with their vehicle (blown engine, flat tire, deer through the windshield, spontaneous combustion, etc.) I'm pretty sure he has a tool in his Jeep that'll fix it. On the other hand, if I see someone broken down on the side of the road, I start thinking a few things:


1. I have nothing to offer this person except sympathy and a cell phone. Sympathy won't help and I already see them talking on a cell phone.


2. I know just enough about cars to help someone who is at a gas pump for the first time and is a bit confused. Beyond that, I'm pretty useless.


3. I am a bit concerned about whether that old lady on the side of the road might have a weapon in her purse, planning to carjack the first person who falls for her little trick. Not all old ladies are nice. Some are devious. 


I could go on, but I think you get my point. We are different.


However, we are bonded together by something that is much stronger than any of our differences (something other than our mutual love for superhero movies and loud music).


We are both trying our best to follow Jesus.


Trust me, there is nothing else in the world that would/could have ever brought us together.


Jesus did. 


We have strengthened and sharpened one another in ways that neither of us expected. Our relationship has been one of the most surprising and beneficial gifts that God has ever given me.


When I think about how many Christians out there are missing out on fulfilling, encouraging, edifying (and perhaps challenging) friendships because they only want to be around people who are like them, it makes me sad. 


Jesus didn't die on a cross to bring us together with all of the people who are just like us...


He died on a cross to bring us together with everyone. 


With people who are nothing like us.


With people who complement us.


With people who can reach those we can't reach with the Gospel.


With people who can make us better than we are right now.


He died on a cross to bridge the gap between the soldier and the artist; between the gunslinger and the peacemaker; between the fearless and the timid. 


And it works.


If we will participate.


So I challenge you to look past the people you THINK you would get along with and to allow Jesus to bring you into a relationship that you could have never planned for yourself. 


And if me or Coast fits that description, we could always use another friend:)

No comments:

Post a Comment